We hear a lot these days about stress. Everyone talks about it as if it’s everywhere and is out to get you. Whoa! Let’s slow down and analyze this – stress is your reaction to something. Your reaction to something. This means you have control over it. By changing your thoughts you can reduce or eliminate your stress entirely. Just by changing your thoughts.
I learned early in my career that one person’s stress is another’s playground. Stress is caused by your thoughts about an assignment, your workload, a bad relationship, etc. Not the actual event, but your thoughts about it.
Here are some proven tactics to reduce your stress, help you live a healthier and happier life, and be more uplifting and fun to be around. Trust me – everyone is tired of hearing how stressed you are.
- Do Something Inspirational First Thing in the Morning – After taking care of your morning essentials, read or listen to something inspirational. Get your mind right and start your day with a positive frame of mind.. Don’t make this a chore, do it because it makes you feel better and gets you aligned with who you are and your vision.
- Allow Plenty of Time During Your Day – Set your day up to maximize your strengths and focus. Don’t run from meeting to meeting. Give yourself time to focus on the task at hand. Then move on to the next item. Care about yourself enough to not put too much activity in too little time.
- Be Authentic – it takes a lot of energy to pretend to be something or someone you aren’t. Just be you and relish in that. Those that support you will stay and those that are whimsical and enjoyed fake you will leave.
- Get Away – take a break during the day, even if it’s just for a short walk. Break up your routine and recharge a bit.
- Remind Yourself This is Your Choice – Don’t fall into the trap of thinking you “have to”. This builds resistance and creates tension in your mind and body. Tension is not good and is the precursor to more serious ailments. Engage in something because you want to.
- Say a Kind Word to Someone Else – spread the joy. Become your office harbinger of happiness. You’ll both feel better. A random and authentic smile can work wonders.
- Know When to Say When – Life is a marathon, not a sprint. It will be there tomorrow. Pace yourself.
- Focus on Productivity vs. Being Busy – Many in today’s world focus on their long hours at the job. Or how much they have to do. I don’t know many people sitting around waiting for something to come along to break the monotony. Everyone’s busy, but few are productive.