Is your life working?
Do you wake up in the morning feeling excited that you’ve got a new day to create something? Or do you wake up with a sense of dread?
Contrary to what is being marketed and advertised no matter where you look, there isn’t a one-size-fits-all solution. We’re all different. We all have different priorities, goals, upbringing, and skill-sets. To think there’s a universal 3,5, or 7-step process that will solve everyone’s problem and help them feel successful is ludicrous.
Many folks make life and success much more difficult than it needs to be. Success is how you define it. If you’re feeling successful and your life works then stop comparing yourself to others. Don’t fall into the trap of thinking you need to earn $XX or drive a certain set of wheels to be “successful”. We all know many people who make the big $$ and drive the fancy cars but their life overall doesn’t work. They aren’t happy, their health is bad, and they feel miserable.
Try these strategies on for size and keep those that work for you. Drop the rest and keep moving forward. Remember – it’s your show and you get to decide on the process or blend of processes that work for you. You also get to decide if you want to move fast or slow, take a break now and then, or just forget it all. Everything is your choice.
I do offer this observation – you can’t run away from yourself. Many try to numb the pain with alcohol, drugs, exercise, and crazy work hours. These are just diversions and don’t work for the long-haul. The only thing I’m aware of that works 100% of the time for 100% of the people is to be authentic, love yourself, heal your past wounds, and move forward a little bit wiser, stronger, and more powerful than yesterday. I call that true success.
1. Develop Your Vision – without a vision it’s impossible to create anything. Everything we do or create starts with a thought. This vision is personal to you and gives direction to your overall life and purpose. A vision helps to tell if you’re getting warmer or colder as you go throughout your day. As Helen Keller is famous for saying – “The only thing worse than being blind is having sight but no vision.”
2. Assume 100% Responsibility – assume your power and take responsibility for everything that happens in your life. By assuming responsibility you take yourself out of the victim mentality and immediately move yourself into the creator mentality. With the creator mentality you can change anything you want.
3. Believe – Once you have your vision defined you need to believe that you can and will achieve it. If you can’t see yourself accomplishing your goal/vision then others won’t believe it either. The easiest way I know is to tell yourself the story of your success (whatever it is) and repeat this over and over throughout your day. The more familiar you get with your story the more you believe it. Always be on the watch for the Universe to line up supporting evidence and give thanks when it does.
4. Participate – A great deal of the fun in accomplishing your vision is the daily process. Deciding what you’re going to do today to move forward, doing it, and then crossing it off your list as COMPLETE. Our brains love this feedback. Rather than have a huge to-do list that will overwhelm you, just write down 1 or 2 things that you absolutely are going to complete today. This makes it waaaaay easier and removes stress from the equation. I’ll bet you get a lot more done and feel much better.
5. Be Curious – Continue learning and taking in new information. Your brain loves this! New information allows your brain to make new connections and will keep you younger, sharper, and smarter. As my brother-in-law says – “education never takes a holiday”.
6. A-S-K – We live in a supportive Universe. When you finally accept that you don’t have all the answers and can’t control much of anything this frees you up to enjoy life. Maintain your vision and do what you enjoy doing. Soar with your strengths. Ask others for help, ideas, suggestions whenever you feel stuck. You’ll surprised and amazed with how helpful everyone is and the great ideas you will get back. The myth of the macho lone gunman who has everything under control is just that – a Hollywood myth.
7. Spread the Love – Now that you’re walking your path with assuredness and a little skip in your step, help others who might be stuck as you once were. New thoughts = new solutions. Many you encounter are feeling stressed and inadequate. Give them a smile and heartfelt congratulation. Their returned smile and sparkle in their eyes will let you know your message has been gratefully received.